Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day#1: The Touch

It's indeed a random thought, but it has something very intense to talk about. Like many other epiphanies that have roots in my relationship with my child, this too is one that I have realised just because I have seen how much a touch of my hand can soothe my baby.
Sometimes, if you carry a thought in your mind, you are likely to come across a lot more on the same thought in different ways and places. One such thing is the string of thoughts related to touch. It's when I watched Dr Abraham Varghese's video, on the need of human touch in the medical diagnosis, it struck me that it's so true- for I have seen my little one, when it could hardly breathe and settle down peacefully to sleep, a sheer touch of my finger could lull him to sleep. It's the same even now, when he has past 7 months.
I remember, when I was allowed to see my child for some minutes in the NICU at SAT, all I could see was a shimmering little creature- so fragile and quiet- at the very sight of him, my eyes welled up and I couldn't help crying. My fingers trembled when I tried to have a glimpse of his fingers curled up inside the oversized sweater. As my fingers went in search of his fragile little toes, the black patch on his right foot, just devastated me. The nurse asked me to leave the place curtly saying, this is not the place to cry, you can go out and cry!
When those teeny weeny fingers started to raise up to my face, all I could do was be grateful to life and God for having given me such a beautiful little life.

No comments:

Post a Comment